Canadian life: Ways to start a new life as a couple 

Canada selection programs allow people and families from all around the world to move to Canada in a matter of months. 

A Couple can immigrate to Canada in several ways, either through Canada’s spouse visa or by joining dependents. Same-sex couples and common-law partners are both considered spousal relationships for Canadian immigration purposes.  

It can be overwhelming to start a new life alone, especially if you don’t have family or friends with you. However, Canada lets you bring your family over with you. Whether you and your partner receive permanent residence at different times, you can still immigrate to Canada together. Find the right program below to get moving.  

Spousal Sponsorship 

It is possible to bring your spouse to Canada through the Spousal Sponsorship Category (part of the Family Class). Those who are married to a Canadian or have a spouse who lives in Canada are ideal candidates for this program. The sponsor must complete one of the numerous immigration programs available in Canada in order to qualify for permanent residency if you are applying together. The Sponsor can only sponsor another person once they have acquired permanent residences, such as a conjugal partner, law partner, and spouse. Immigrants who immigrate as a couple with their partner as a dependent can jointly apply for permanent residency. 

Requirement for Sponsor Applicant 

  • Applicants must be at least 18 years old or more. 
  • Must hold citizenship of Canada or permanent residency.  
  • Cannot have been sponsored within the previous five years as a spouse. 

Criteria for Sponsored Candidates 

  • Age requirement of 16 years or older. 
  • Be distantly unrelated to the Sponsor. 

Express Entry 

In addition to the FSTP, CEC, as well as FSWP are the three primary immigration programs covered by the Express Entry draw

One of two alternatives is available to a pair who wants to apply for permanent residency through the Express Entry draw: either they include their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner as a dependent, or they designate them as a supplementary applicant. Because dependents are not permitted in the Canadian Experience Class, it is better suited to single, young professionals. When submitting an application jointly, you must do it through either the Federal Skilled Trade Program or the Federal Skilled Workers Program. 

Making an application as a Main and Secondary Applicant 

The partnership is considered a donor and applicants must submit documentation of Federal Skilled Worker and Federal Skilled Trades Program funding, which differs from other approaches. Because of this, only 40 points will be based on your partner’s profile when you build your profile through one of these Express Entry schemes. While this may not seem like much, keeping in mind that the typical effective CRS score is from 430 to 460, it can make a significant difference. 

The partner with the strongest profile should be chosen as the main contender before applying. If your spouse would perform well in the aforementioned categories, it is worthwhile to identify them as a secondary application; however, if they would perform poorly, you might want to think about declaring them as a dependent. 

Dependents applying 

It’s crucial to remember that listing a partner as a dependent necessitates the primary applicant to demonstrate that they have enough money to settle in Canada. However, the CRS score does not take into account your partner’s profile. 

Other programs related to immigration  

The provincial nominee program can be also used by couples to immigrate to Canada with the spouse who has the best qualification skills. It is the primary applicant who will be accompanied by their spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner. The main applicant will be required to show proof of adequate funds to move to Canada depending on how many dependents they claim.  

It may also be feasible for both applicants to submit separate applications for the different immigration programs, withdrawing one of them once an ITA is received. However, this might get pricey if both applications are accepted because there are two costs involved. 

Provinces that Provide PNPs 

  • Yukon 
  • Prince Edward Island 
  • Northwest Territories 
  • Manitoba 
  • Ontario 
  • Alberta  
  • Saskatchewan 
  • Nova Scotia  
  • Prince Edward Island 
  • British Columbia 
  • Newfoundland & Labrador     


Immigrants can apply through Express Entry to immigrate to Canada but not everyone can use Express Entry. If you and your family wish to immigrate this information may assist you in determining whether Express Entry is the right option for you and your family.   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.