Hairline lowering surgery doesn’t reduce the forehead but rather moves down the location where your hair grows. The procedure takes place during facial feminization surgery. It allows you to have the frontal hairline advanced up to certain distances. It depends on variables such as preoperative hairline height, scalp laxity, and patient preference.
Different Types Of Hairline Lowering surgery Procedures
The procedures include:
1. Surgical hairline advancement -It involves a surgery that takes place on the forehead. The doctor removes the part of the skin next to the hairline, approximately 2-3 cm thick, then stitches back the remaining part. There is a biodegradable scalp that is put behind the skin. It attaches the skin with the muscles beneath to avoid scarring.
2. Grafting hair- This is an alternative procedure for hairline lowering. The procedure involves grafting hair in front of the hairline. It is, at times, used as an independent technique to reduce the forehead.
The surgeon does this method by increasing layers of hair above the natural hairline. Different kinds of hairline lowering techniques also differ in terms of the price and need of the patient.
Pros and Cons of Hairline Lowering
1. Instant Results- After a quick procedure and a short recovery time, hairline lowering surgery offers immediate results that can take up to years to reach with hair transplants. The procedure can also be done together with a brow lift, which smooths forehead wrinkles.
2. Hidden Scar- Although the hairline lowering surgery can leave a scar, the scar tissue is formed behind the hairline. In most cases, hair re-grows in front of the scar and through it, making it undetectable unless the hair is wet.
3. Adaptability to Different scalps- An extra step can make the procedure available to you if you are not an instantly suitable candidate for hairline lowering surgery.
4. Cost- The cost of the procedure differs depending on whether you are getting the one stage or getting it done in two stages. The cost can increase but with the benefit of getting your hairline lowered by more than 6cm.
5. Appearance- The procedure reduces the look of an oversized forehead, restoring balance and a good appearance in the face.
6. Outpatient procedure- Patients of Hairline lowering surgery recover faster as the procedure is done, outpatient.
1. Bruising and swelling- Since the scalp is moved forward, swelling and bruising are common after the hairline lowering surgery.
2. Numbness- You are likely to experience temporary numbness in the forehead and scalp after the surgery. You can generally prevent it.
3. Hair Loss- This is one of the cosmetic risks of hairline lowering surgery. However, it is a temporary problem.
4. Decreased Mobility- Hairline Lowering surgery decreases mobility in the forehead area, like any other botox procedure.
5. It’s not a good fit for people with thin hair density.
6. There are risks of infections and complications after the procedure, but most patients recover without trouble.
Hairline lowering surgery is a proven method that you can use to shorten the length of the forehead. The procedure has its pros and cons, as we have discussed above. It will help you to decide whether you still want the surgery or not.