QuickBooks is a massive accounting application that allows multiple users to access the program at the same time. However, if several people work on the same file simultaneously, the QuickBooks Error the File Exists might start flashing on your screen. It will come along with an additional text saying, “The file you specified cannot be opened.” The primary trigger to this glitch is a misconfiguration in the Host settings of all the workstations. Continue reading our blog below to learn more about the other factors influencing this error and the steps that can help you eliminate the same.
If you feel uncomfortable in carrying out the techniques mentioned below, feel free to connect with our professionals at 1.800.579.0391.
Common Reasons that Poke QuickBooks Error the File Exists
- QuickBooks application is outdated.
- Error while installing QuickBooks.
- Invalid credentials for QuickBooks users.
- Unsuitable Internet and Firewall Settings.
- Interference by Windows User Account Control.
Reliable Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error the File Exists
Option 1: Disable Windows User Account Control (UAC) Settings.
- Tap on the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- In the search field, type Control Panel.
- Press OK.
- In the following window, look for the User account.
- Select the Change UAC Settings button.
- Click on Yes.
- Choose to Never Notify UAC.
- After this, restart your computer.
Read Also – QuickBooks Won’t Open
Option 2: Run QuickBooks as Admin
- Terminate all QuickBooks files.
- Navigate to and right-click on the QuickBooks icon on your home screen.
- Choose Properties.
- Now open the File Location.
- Locate the reboot.bat file here.
- Click right on this file.
- Select the Run as Administrator option.
- Allow the system to carry out the whole process.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Option 3: Update QuickBooks
- Access QuickBooks.
- Press the Product Information button.
- Choose the version you are using for QuickBooks.
- Press on Search.
- Select Latest Updates.
- Double-tap on the QuickBooks installation file.
- Once the process is complete, reboot your system.
Method 3: Grant Full QuickBooks Access
- Locate and select QuickBooks on your desktop.
- Select Open File Location.
- Press the backspace button on your keyboard.
- This will take you to the QuickBooks folder.
- Navigate to the company file and right-click on it.
- Choose Properties.
- Tap on the Edit button.
- Click on Add.
- Select Everyone.
- Press the OK button.
- Now click on Full Control.
- Finally, select the correct user.
This blog has covered the standard root causes and the basic protocol to erase QuickBooks Error the File Exists. If the issue persists, it is best that you connect with our certified pro-advisors right away. Ring 1.800.579.0391.