We have all seen the news and marvelled at the kind of impact journalism has on us. In a way, a journalist is responsible for the shaping of public sentiments. A lot of people opt for this field because they get the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment. Journalism also allows a student to make changes in the world. It is one of the most exciting and challenging fields. Of late, technology has started to play a huge role in the media. This is increasing the number of job opportunities available in the field of journalism.
Journalism and other media-related fields are very important and popular with the youth of today. A bachelor of journalism and mass communication course gets a student better chances at entering the newsroom.
What is taught in journalism?
- Good reporting skills, how to do research and how to write a good copy
- Good communication skills
- Photography, video editing, video production, designing layouts, radio programming and web design
- Oratorical skills for those who wish to become radio jockeys
- Working under pressure
- The importance of teamwork
Here are some of the major advantages of studying journalism and mass communication
- Students learn about effective communication. By the end of this course, they are able to communicate well, both verbally and vocally. Communication skills are very important to be able to put across your thoughts and ideas through every medium, be it written or verbal. Good writing skills are also an important focus of the course.
- Students learn about good storytelling skills through journalism and mass communication courses. A lot of research goes into the development of a story. Moreover, the reader or audience needs to be kept engaged with the story. Another factor is that the stories should be put across in a manner that is easy to understand by everyone.
- Students are also taught to think creatively and out of the box. This skill is necessary since journalists have to think about the story from every angle before presenting it to the audience.
- Students are taught to work under pressure and have the ability to meet deadlines.
Where can one obtain a journalism and mass communication degree?
If you wish to study journalism and mass communication, Dr C. V Raman University in Bilaspur would be a really good option for you. Students can do this course in regular or distance modes of education depending on their choices.
The university has faculty that is highly experienced and qualified in the field of journalism and mass communication. They encourage students to think critically and have discussions in the class. It is made sure that students get the opportunity to learn from their teachers at an individual level. Professors make sure to incorporate both practical and theoretical methods into their teaching. This helps them ensure that every student learns to their full potential. Classroom lectures, along with workshops in the field are an integral part of the course curriculum.
Along with these, several events like seminars, conferences and guest lectures are held at the university on a regular basis. These events allow the students to learn from the unique experiences and challenges faced by the speakers visiting the university. After these events, students have the chance to interact with the professionals and to get their personal questions answered. This also makes sure that the students have the opportunity to make connections with people in the field of journalism and media.
The infrastructure at the university was designed by professionals. The large campus is equipped with sprawling grounds, laboratories with the latest technologies, hostel facilities, a cafeteria that serves nutritious food, a library with books on every subject the student would require and many more facilities. After university hours, students can often be found in the library or in the grounds.
The university also offers placement services that have tie-ups with several news agencies. This helps students find a job after graduation. The placement cell also trains the students on soft skills such as good interview skills that make sure students make a good first impression on any recruiting agency.
What makes a student eligible for the journalism program?
In order to be eligible for the journalism program at CVRU Bilaspur, a student must score at least 50% aggregate in their higher secondary examinations. Admissions for the course are entirely based on merit.
What kind of job opportunities are available for graduates of journalism?
Students who complete a journalism and mass communications course have the opportunity to work in several sectors apart from media. Here are some of the major areas of work.
- TV channels for broadcasting, editing, production
- Newspapers and magazines, both online and print
- Radio production and programming
- Government media agencies
- Event Management
- Legal Firms
- Digital media